Please use the links below to find the titles recommended in the Trinity College Exam Syllabus:
Trinity Sight Reading Pieces Initial to Grade 5 (Trinity) TCL 015082
Trinity Aural Test Books Grades 1 to 5
Trinity Theory of Music Workbook Grade 4
Candidates prepare section 1 and either section 2 or section 3.
All requirements are in Trinity’s Guitar Scales, Arpeggios & Studies from 2016: Initial – Grade 5. (Trinity) TCL 015082
1. Technical Exercise (music may be used)
Technical exercise in A major (q = 130)
2. Scales & arpeggios
3. Studies (music may be used) — candidates prepare 1a or 1b, 2a or 2b, and 3a or 3b (three studies in total). Candidates choose one study to play first. Examiners then select one of the remaining two prepared studies to be performed.
1a Half Moon or 1b Flamenco Fantasy [for tone and phrasing]
2a River or 2b And Relax… [for articulation]
3a Dark Maze or 3bSorrow [for idiomatic elements]
Candidates perform a balanced programme of three pieces, chosen from the list below. A maximum of two duets (marked ?) may be played. An own composition may be played instead of one listed piece.
Pieces marked ? can be found in Trinity’s graded exam book Classical Guitar Exam Pieces 2020–2023: Grade 4 (Trinity) TCL019318
1. Ali, Rumba por Givi (from Flamenco Suite), Graded Repertoire for Guitar book 2 (Mel Bay) 20038
2. Baron, Allemande (from Sonata for Two Guitars) ? ?
3. Baron, Bourrée, My First Concert (Schott) ED22050
4. Baulch, Glissaccatura, Raise the Bar Guitar: Grades 3–5 (Trinity) TCL016560
5. Bogdanovic, Waltz for a Sad Cloud, no. 2 from 6 Children’s Pieces or Learn & Conquer Guitar Repertoire with Xuefei Yang children’s book 1 (Doberman) DO734 or DO961, ?
6. Brouwer, Étude no. 4, Études simples vol. 1 (Eschig) ME00799700
7. Brun, L’éléphant, Musicanimales (Lemoine) HL25247
8. Carcassi, Etude no. 7 in A minor, 25 Melodic and Progressive Studies op. 60 (Chanterelle) ECH0470
9. Carulli, Sicilienne op. 34 no. 2, First Repertoire for Solo Guitar book 1 (Faber) 0571507093
10. Daube arr. Willis, Menuets I & II (from Partie in A major) ?
11. Dowland arr. Hegel, Orlando Sleepeth ?
12. Drozdzowski, Rainy Impression, All Year Round with the Guitar (Euterpe) EU1003
13. Dyens, On Joe’s Deck, Separately or Les 100 de Roland Dyens vol. 1 (Productions d’Oz) DZ1901 or DZ2201
14. Fogel, Village Blackbird Blues ?
15. Kleynjans, Petit air d’Argentine, Raise the Bar Guitar: Grades 3–5 (Trinity) TCL016560
16. Lindsey-Clark, Danza del arpa, Simply Latin (Montague) MM121
17. Muro, Milonga, Basic Pieces vol. 2 (Chanterelle) ECH0782
18. Norton arr. Nestor, Line by Line ?
19. Roberts, In Good Company, New Beginnings (Trinity) TCL019134
20. Ryan, Spice Trail ?
21. Sagreras, Nostalgia: petite mélodie (from Tres piezas fáciles op. 19) ?
22. Saumell, La caridad ?, 19 Contradanzas (Lemoine) HL29261
23. Schwertberger, Bossa-Nova Breeze ?
24. Smith, Calderas, Atmospheres & Adventures (Trinity) TCL019127
25. Sor, Andante (no. 2 from 24 leçons progressives op. 31) ?
26. Stachak, Etude in C major, Characteristic Études vol. 1 (Euterpe) EU1801
27. Trad. Arr. Gagnon, Malborough, Learn & Conquer Guitar Repertoire with Xuefei Yang beginner book 1 (Doberman) DO962
28. Vinas, Tango (with repeats) (from Capullos de Abril), Collected Guitar Works (Chanterelle) ECH0443
29. De Visèe arr. Scheit, Gavotte (from Suite in D minor) ?
30. Waters, Whirligig, Solo Now! vol. 2 (Chanterelle) ECH2102
31. Zenamon, Romance (no. 14 from 20 Epigrammes), Graded Repertoire For Guitar book 2 (Mel Bay) 20038
<- Back to Guitar Exam Music